Vanished: The Claremont Inn (192?)
This landmark restaurant was located just north of
Grant's Tomb. According
to Nathan Silver's book Lost New York, "it burned and
was demolished by the city in 1951." (p. 59) According to the postcard
from which this
image is taken, "it was modeled after Lord Cleve's historic Claremont
in Surrey, England, which is now owned by King George. "
If anyone knows any more about its (local) history, we would love to hear it. Wouldn't it would be nice if this building were rebuilt and the profits dedicated to the maintenance of Riverside Park ? Note the elaborate piers at 125th St. in the upper right of the photograph; this used to be a serious shipping area. Another picture of this building.